This course is part of Sastra-Caksus, Year 2 and consists of 101 lectures, available on:
Given in Bhaktivedanta Academy, Sridham Mayapur, November 2011-April 2012
The following are lecture notes briefly delineating its contents.
- We tend to think than an external work will revive God consciousness, but it is only the connection to internal potency that matters.
- We cannot sideline the importance of the medium used, but we have to understand that it is secondary. First is first and second is second. Primary is primary, and secondary is supportive of the primary.
- Ajnata-sukrti is Krishna consciousness, but since one is not paying much attention, nothing much is happening in terms of developing relationship with the Lord.
- The most important technique to become attentive in chanting is association with those who are attentive.
- All pervading is the Brahman aspect of the Lord, everything is situated in Him as the Paramatma aspect.
- Even though Krishna is everywhere, He as Bhagavan can only be attained through unalloyed devotion. To the extent of our realization of Him we can take advantage of His association.
- Sambandha nourishes prayojana, prayojana nourishes sambandha. When relationship is expressed and affection is shown, it enriches the basis of relationship, and that in turn creates more expression and affection.
- Both karmis and jnanis make the same mistake of leaving the Lord out of their endeavors and thinking themselves the doers.
- Devotees use both karma and jnana, but they do not identify as karmis and jnanis because they understand that they are only assistant in those activities carried out by the Lord and His energies.
- Having good skills or vast knowledge in a particular field is very good as long as they are connected to the Lord.
- We may have plenty of direct interaction with Krishna, but our relationship with Him is not direct, it is through devotees.
- Accidental falldown means that one is committed to devotional service, and whatever one falls down with, one does not make that activity primary.
- In falldown there is work, knowledge or mystic power involved, but devotional service is separate and independent from all of that.
- Technically the whole material world is full of fallen devotees, but the distinction is made between those who realize it and those who don’t.
- 38:30 The Hollywood concept of devotional service. It is not that one is either a pure devotee or a schnook. Being fallen and being a sincere devotee can happen at once.
- It is our attachment to morality that doesn’t allow us to see how morally fallen devotees can still be engaged in the Lord’s service.
- Those who want to get their work done in niti/economy will always quote dharma from the shastras, although they do not care for the shastra.
- If a devotee who does something wrong is maintained in his position, there will be security in the society.
- 54:00 Eternal damnation is only applied to those who are already devotees, not to the newcomers. But it is an illusion.
- 57:00 The term ‘blooped’ was coined by Srila Prabhupada. The Vedic system is not to make a sound in imitation of something, but to say an appropriate word.
- 60:30 In the Old Testament almost everyone did something wrong, but still they are respected. While in the New Testament things have to be squeaky clean, and everything gets sidelined by that.
- Whether fallen or not, we always advance in devotional service only through the help of devotees.
- Pure and pure unalloyed devotional service.
- Piety is better to use in Krishna consciousness. But ultimately it is consciousness that makes Krishna consciousness, and it will rectify whatever the material situation is.
- There is no retribution in Krishna consciousness, and the story of Ajamila is confirmation of it.
- 79:30 The sinful activities are so distracting, that’s why they are avoided. And then we had the had the other day, the problem is, the kshatriyas, they are so much in passion that these activities that for some would be considered sinful, for them in certain situations are not because they are not going to be any more distracted. You know what I am saying? The guy has 8 wives and he bumps into some other lady, it’s not going to be that much of a distraction. So all these things, he has got all the power, all the influence, all the, whatever he wants to eat or drink, it’s all there. So if he gets overly absorbed in that, it’s overy absorbed in an already passionate situation. But for the other ones there isn’t that volume, so for the brahmanas it’s just totally avoided. The vaishyas, it should be avoided, and the shudras, it’s recommended they avoid it.
- Accidental falldown means one did not mean to be there.
- According to the definition of Srila Baladeva Vidyabhushana, everyone connected to the devotional service is a devotee. But if anyone becomes proud, then the definition of Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura is used, that devotional service only starts at prema.
- 91:00 If an authority simply removes someone from service, but does not situate them properly, it is not actually responsible.
- 97:00 Those doing ‘soft preaching’ simply give their own interpretation on the Holy Name and thus commit offence.
- 102:00 Jayadvaita Maharaja’s presentation on the real position of the New Age was appreciated by those people, but made the devotee organizers upset.
- As long as a temple functions properly, we should not worry about some personal issues of the temple president.