This course is part of Sastra-Caksus, Year 1 and consists of 91 lectures, available on:
Given in Bhaktivedanta Academy, Sridham Mayapur, September 2010-April 2011
The following are lecture notes briefly delineating its contents.
- Even those people who do not plan to attain pure devotion will be elevated by hearing Bhagavad-gita. If they do not plan to get devotion, they will be elevated to the heavenly planets.
- There can be nothing wrong in preaching or distributing Gita – everyone gets benefit.
- Lord Nityananda was trying to induce Jagai and Madhai to chant the Holy Name, He was not preaching Bhagavad-gita to them.
- 09:50 Which is worse, Mayavada or Buddhism – they are all about the same.
- 14:00 Desirelessness means just wanting to please the Lord, it does not mean no engagement of the senses, not doing anything.
- All material philosophies boil down to the idea that prakriti is the cause of the world.
- Both karmis and jnanis consider that life has come from matter – gross or subtle.
- 21:45 We want people to understand, not to argue the point.
- If we are not looking for opportunities for sense enjoyment, there is no material existence.
- 28:00 Levels of prostitutes in the Vedic culture
- 1) Emphasis on the tendency of femininity. More emphasis on ongoing relationship, doing yajnas, giving in charity.
- 2) Not so much piety, the feminine charm is the main element – geishas
- 3) Main emphasis on gross sense gratification – modern prostitutes.
- Women are not supposed to be distracted from religious life, because then they are worse than irreligious men.
- Men should not disturb other women, therefore prostitutes help to maintain religiousness in the society.
- Vedic society girls may also make good wives, because they act with every man that comes to them as a wife.
- Even if the devotee is distracted, the Lord never gives up on him.
- Pious forms are only called pious, because someone who is Krishna conscious would use those forms to express devotion.
- If prisoner behaves nicely, he will get out quicker, but one who behaves nicely simply to get out, still remains a criminal. Similarly, people may be very pious simply to enjoy in this world.
- Unable to fulfill our material desires, we become frustrated. All that maya does is encourages us to take a look again and again at things that we wanted, but if we really show that we do not want them, she gives up offering them.
- It is easier for a man to create an environment for Krishna consciousness, but in one sense it is easier for a woman to take advantage of that environment and be Krishna consciousness.
- We think it’s fortunate when Krishna gives someone material facility, but the real thing is when He gives someone Himself.
- The result of Krishna consciousness is that one becomes increasingly enlightened and one at every moment enjoys life with a thrill.
- Devotees only live off of the rain of nectar coming from Krishna and His devotees.