This course is part of Sastra-Caksus, Year 1 and consists of 91 lectures, available on:
Given in Bhaktivedanta Academy, Sridham Mayapur, September 2010-April 2011
The following are lecture notes briefly delineating its contents.
- The qualities everyone manifests are Krishna’s.
- All experiences gained from different activities are the same.
- 7:40 A human being may see things as any of the 8,400,000 species of life, but we should cultivate understanding in the mode of goodness.
- The good qualities are created by Krishna, but we develop them by our own endeavor in devotional service.
- 12:00 developing humility – by devotional service, not some artificial method
- Modes of nature have meaning because they come from Krishna, He is beyond
- We see duality because we do not see Krishna
- If we do not surrender to Krishna, that means we have not actually appreciated His opulences and think there is something separate from Him
- Just discussing Krishna’s pastimes works if we are fully absorbed in Krishna by that process.
- Discussion of Krishna’s opulences increases our appreciation of Him and removes doubts, so we can proceed to higher rasas.
- Catuh-sloki Bhagavad-gita.
- Grammatical explanation of how we are bound if we think ourselves the doer
- Even materialists are busy talking about different aspects of Krishna in the material energy.
- The concept of having taste of hearing only particular pastimes of Krishna come from duality, conditioned nature.
- Pure devotees appreciate all aspects of the Lord, Mother Yashoda appreciates Krishna playing with cowherd boys, Vaikuntha-vasis appreciate Krishna’s Vrindavana pastimes
- 46:30 Festivals and other out-of the-ordinary things are meant to inspire the minds of neophytes that now there is something going on.
- 50:00 approx. Explanation of connection and difference between vaidhi and raganuga, spontaneity and following rules.
- Pastimes mean that there should also be endeavor on our side.
- 68:00 “Pastimes of illusion”
- 69:45 In breaking 4 regulative principles we do not want to make the endeavor for the enjoyment
- When devotee surrenders to Krishna, He takes charge, otherwise everything is exact according to karma