This course is part of Sastra-Caksus, Year 1 and consists of 91 lectures, available on:
Given in Bhaktivedanta Academy, Sridham Mayapur, September 2010-April 2011
The following are lecture notes briefly delineating its contents.
- One should usually understand both material and spiritual world to be inspired.
- During annihilation, jiva’s conception of who he is is destroyed, adhibhuta is destroyed, but adhyatma and adhidaiva remain.
- Annihilation is just like a long sleep, but the karma of the living entity does not change, he comes back exactly where he left off.
- Each day of Brahma has a slightly different flavor, but in general everything happening in the material world is simply chewing the chewed.
- 08:00 Every Kali-yuga there is an Ipod
- Svayam Krishna and Svayam Caitanya come once in a day of Brahma – it is more rare than Xbox
- Impersonalists do not apply their own knowledge of language in interpreting scriptures.
- Anything connected to Krishna is infallible.
- 18:30 “Remembering Krishna by luck”
- Lucky means Laxmi
- Intoxicating effect of sinful activities.
- Various yogis other than bhakti are dependent on favorable material circumstances to leave their body to achieve their destinations. This indicates that their destinations are also material.
- Karma-kanda does not point out that to accept good karma, one has to still suffer the miseries of birth and death. But karma-kanda is meant to engage people in the mode of passion in pious activities, because in this way they do not create disturbances for pious people.
- Nothing is missed from other yogas for one who engages in devotional service.
- Although there is the indirect path to go back to Godhead by being elevated to Brahmaloka, then waiting till the annihilation of the universe, it takes much longer time and they may go to Vaikuntha, or whatever is the meditation of the present Brahma. But by devotional service one can go back to Godhead in this lifetime.
- 37:00 How Prabhupada explains process from Sraddha to Prema in connection to the study of the Bhagavad-gita.
- The most important aspect of anartha-nivritti is to give up our misgivings toward Krishna, faith that in the material world there is something of value.
- Engaging mixed natures in Krishna’s service. Anuloma and pratiloma.
- When we are free from misgivings about Krishna’s name, form, qualities and pastimes, we can become absorbed in Krishna and fixed in the study of the Bhagavad-gita.
- We relish the study of Gita – ruci, and attain the state of always being Krishna conscious – asakti. In bhava, one is falling in love with Krishna, but in prema one has completely fallen in love. Only in prema, one is transferred to Goloka.
- 54:45 STARTING CHAPTER 9
- 1st chapter – setting the field
- 2nd – knowledge about soul
- 3rd activities combined with knowledge
- 4th knowledge more refined
- 7th and 8th karma and jnana only have value in connection to Krishna – that’s more confidential
- 9th chapter – pure, unalloyed devotion that enables the devotee to control Krishna
- Sara-grahi is about finding the essence. Political correctness is only a tool, it finds fault.
- Knowledge in the first 6 chapters is about the field, Sankarshana aspect
- Knowledge in the 9th chapter is Pradyumna, Aniruddha and Vasudeva – about serving the Lord in personal relationship.
- Sat, cit and hladini shaktis in kirtan.
- Knowledge and education means knowledge about God and soul. The king of all knowledge and education is what is the spiritual activity of the soul, how to use the knowledge in relationship to God in His service.