This course is part of Sastra-Caksus, Year 1 and consists of 91 lectures, available on:
Given in Bhaktivedanta Academy, Sridham Mayapur, September 2010-April 2011
The following are lecture notes briefly delineating its contents.
- Beginning: Nature is the medium to use in Krishna’s service, but how to do that is defined by Shastra, not that we are controlled by that nature
- Senses, mind, intelligence are dead matter, but because the Lord has entered them, they appear real.
- 04:30 Duties of particular varnas/ashramas come in packages, don’t pick and choose
- Using body, senses etc. has to be in the mood of naishkarmya, otherwise there is still danger to be carried away. Rule on itself will not make it work, there has to be determination. Goodness is maintenance, passion only great for starting things.
- 11:00 Everything functions according to rules and regulations
- To get any result, even materialistic, one has to function in present, in goodness, according to naishkarmya
- 15:00 Even Mayavadis endeavor for a result, Brahmananda
- No one except Vaishnavas can actually become self-realized
- 19:20 In 1970s most devotees admitted that they came because of Prasadam
- We always require good association to advance
- 27:20 Spiritual masters get overburdened by disciples’ questions regarding their engagement on material platform
- 34:00 Explanation of knowledge in the three gunas
- Modern knowledge is in passion
- Opposing or insulting the scriptures is ignorance
- 45:30 Liberated platform is not enough, there has to be love for the Lord
- In lust we consider matter the cause of our happiness
- The greater our devotion and detachment, the more facility we are awarded and vice versa
- We get out of the material world by knowledge. Engagement of the senses, washing pots etc. is the beginning, but devotees should develop proper knowledge.
- Very end – lust can only be conquered by danda.