This course is part of Sastra-Caksus, Year 2 and consists of 25 lectures, available on:
Given in Bhaktivedanta Academy, Sridham Mayapur November-December 2011
The following are lecture notes briefly delineating its contents
LAULYAM – Restlessness, greed and desire
- Bg 2.55-56 Lord Krishna explains that when one gives up all varieties of sense gratification and takes pleasure in the self alone, one attains steadiness of the mind.
- When we have desire for enjoyment, the mind will see opportunities for that. When plans fail, mental concoctions of new plans come.
- When the intelligence is controlled by the mind, it will only serve to analyze opportunities for the mind’s enjoyment.
- Intelligence discriminates between the mind’s good and wicked propensities. Intelligence can be resolute, or many-branched.
- Intelligence is the closest thing to the soul.
- Dhritarashtra is a Rajarsi, he has 2 Mahajanas in his court; but due to his attachment to his son he is unable to act in a Krishna conscious way.
- Senses should be controlled by the mind, mind by intelligence, and intelligence by the soul.
- Unsteady intelligence wanders in karma, jnana, yoga etc. But everything can be attained simply by devotional service.
- Mind becomes submissive when it has agreed to be so, after intelligence has presented the proper options.
- 2 cans condensed milk for lunch sankirtana story.
- Greed should be carefully engaged in Krishna’s service. Greed for anything unrelated to Krishna is despicable, whether it is pious or impious.
- Greed in relation to Krishna is the cause of all auspiciousness.
- Restlessness in connection to Krishna makes one happy on the spiritual platform.
- All attempts to acquire material benefits, or whimsical spiritual advancement are in the category of laulya and are impediments to Krishna consciousness.
6 QUALITIES THAT ENHANCE BHAKTI
UTSAHA – ENTHUSIASM
- Without enthusiasm one becomes negligent in his bhajana.
- Laziness, apathy and inertia are destroyed by being properly enthusiastic.
- If one does not identify as servant of Krishna, one becomes apathetic towards devotional service.
- Apathy, inactivity and distraction are the 3 types of inattentiveness.
- One can never have attraction towards the Holy Names if one is inattentive, even if one has given up all other offenses.