This course is part of Sastra-Caksus, Year 1 and consists of 91 lectures, available on:
Given in Bhaktivedanta Academy, Sridham Mayapur, September 2010-April 2011
The following are lecture notes briefly delineating its contents.
- We have to be able to separate situation, activities and consciousness.
- Our situation is generated by our previous consciousness. Present consciousness generates activities. Consciousness defines identity (nature), identity (nature) defines activities.
- Difference in karma yoga, jnana yoga and ananya bhakti is consciousness, but activity may remain exactly the same. Consciousness may adjust activities, but still consciousness is the main thing.
- 5:00 In the stage of practice sadhana does not always work very well, but its quality is determined by proper consciousness. Therefore there can be proper consciousness, when the activity is not yet proper.
- Krishna is talking about the situation when someone’s consciousness is right but the activity is not yet.
- If we do not understand this, we won’t be able to understand BG, or any other Vedic literatures.
- Shastra is the middle ground. Below is impiety, above is spontaneous devotion.
- 17:00 When consciousness goes beyond dharma, artha, kama and moksha, Krishna commands that it should be taken into consideration when judging person’s activities.
- 24:30 When dealing with devotees who have difficulties we should first see their consciousness and then deal with that.
- 26:00 The difference between karma, karma yoga and pure devotion is only consciousness.
- 28:50 How is consciousness defined?
- 30:30 Example of child trying to walk compared to devotees trying to practice devotional service.
- 39:00 Common man will not accept that matter does not generate consciousness. Therefore if someone has done something wrong, they want to see some external punishment.
- 42:00 Vaishyas have the element of ignorance, therefore they are so worried about morality and justice. They believe that results come from their work. It is not necessarily required to have a good character to be a good vaishya.
- 54:15 One holy name is sufficient to be liberated. Being liberated is not a big deal.
- Logic may work both ways or only one way.
- 58:00 Most devotees leave Krishna consciousness for maximum 10 years
- 67:00 To move to a higher stage of devotional service, one has to increase one’s faith.
- 75:30 Solution if devotees in difficulties create difficulties for others.
- 80:00 By improving the spiritual situation, the dual material situation will go away.
- 84:30 Not planning sinful activity means one is not planning on the strength of devotional service.
- 87:20 most world religions are not up to the standard of religion, they are on the platform of morality.
- Real point of religion is understanding our position and acting according to that.
- 98:00 How pure bhakti purifies everyone